Saturday, May 5, 2007

SF Online Interview with Hagio (Part II-3)

A, A' - by Moto Hagio, Matt Thorn(Continued)

Mizutama:

Ah, but I now remember female protagonists became more prevalent in your works after that. "Star Red," "A, A', " and such. It was also a girl who played the bigger role in "Mosaic Helix."

[Note 1] The image on the left is linked to Amazon.com where you can order "A,A'" translated by Matt Thorn.

Hagio:

Yes, but that girl in "Mosaic Helix" wasn't good.

Mizutama:

Wasn't she?

Hagio:

No she wasn't. Because partway through, she got trapped in the crystal.

Mizutama:

Well, but I liked that girl. Oh, this may be from a different period in terms of publication, but you published manga adapted from short stories by Bradbury in Weekly Margaret, didn't you?

Sakai:

How did it got started? [Note 1]

[Note 1] Hagio had been working with Shogakukan for her publication. Weekly Margaret was published by Shueisha.

Hagio:

That started when I met an editor from Weekly Margaret and we went out for drinks. Back then, I had seldom been treated to meals, so I couldn't decline any assignment requests after such meals. (laugh) So when I got an offer from that editor, I was shrinking away, saying, "I work so slowly, I can't do it." But that editor somehow found out that I was a big fan of Bradbury, and said, "We would get the adaptation rights if you could do it."

Mizutama:

Wow, what a great editor.

Hagio:

So I thought to myself, "Jeez, if I decline this I'll never have another opportunity to draw Bradbury manga in my life."

(Continues)

No comments: