Friday, May 18, 2007

Glen Smith's Diary (Page 58)

//Panel 1//
Elizabeth's Narration:
Next fall, when she was seventeen, Anna got married to Pierre Hessen, a jolly young man…
And we moved from Berlin to the old Hanseatic city of Bremen.
Note:
Aug. 1922
//Panel 2//
Pierre's Song:
Oh dabadaba dandaaaba
//Panel 3//
Anna:
Listen to him, Mama, that habit of his! He is like that every morning! Can you believe he is actually a teacher, like that!
Elizabeth:
Tony played the cello. He has a nice voice.
//Panel 4//
Pierre's Voice:
Anna, Anna, give me a morning kiss!
Anna:
Hey, you snuck food, Pierre, jam is on your mustache!
Elizabeth:
Heh heh.
//Panel 5//
SFX:
SWING
//Panel 6//
Elizabeth's Narration:
When was it…that I opened the window like this…to let in the breeze…
//Panel 7//
Elizabeth's Narration:
As Germany gradually overcame poverty, it seemed that happiness also returned thanks to my daughters' marriages…
//Panel 8//
Elizabeth's Narration:
It's been 21 years since I crossed the sea… I will be called 'Grandma' when my grandchildren are born…

At last some lightheartedness and happiness returns to Elizabeth's family. Although Elizabeth doesn't have her own husband anymore, she is still an integral part of the family life of her daughters. And she is already looking forward to the next generation!

Just a few notes. First, the names of the characters. This story is taking place in Germany, but the names are not very German. I considered using Ludwig instead of Louis, or Peter instead of Pierre, but I decided to go with what the text says.

In Panel 7, Elizabeth's line could have been translated as "it seemed that happiness also returned to my daughters' marriages…" if I take the text literally, but this translation implies that her daughters' marriages have been less than happy. They just got married, and there is no specific reference to domestic disputes in their marriages at this point in the story, so I rejected this version.

No comments: