Saturday, June 23, 2007

The Clan of the Poes (Page 115)

//Panel 2//
Jane:
Er…do you like those flowers here, Jean?
Clifford:
Fine. Where's Dr. Caster?
//Panel 3//
Jane:
Father is in his study…
Clifford:
Not those books again! With guests about to arrive… By God!
Jane:
…Jean…ah…
//Panel 4//
Jane's Narration:
This is a new dress …I wish you would say a word…Jean…
//Panel 5//
SFX:
KNOCK KNOCK
//Panel 6//
Sheila:
Good evening. Thank you very much for inviting us…
SFX:
CLICK
Jane:
Please come inside.
//Panel 7//
Jane's Narration:
Oh…
Lady Sheila Portsnell is so beautiful…!

I probably should have mentioned this earlier, but I was forced to determine that Dr. Clifford's given name is "Jean." Personally, I feel that "Jean" sounds strange as a British first name (obviously, it is very common as the French variant of "John"), but the name "John" is customarily transposed in Japanese as ジョン, pronounced the same as "Joan" with the long "o" vowel. I suspect that Hagio was trying to be precise, knowing how the name "John" is pronounced by native speakers, but due to this technicality (and my lack of access to the author for verification), I just went ahead with calling him Jean. If I ever meet Moto Hagio someday, I will ask her what his name really is. In the meantime, let's assume that the romantic, debonair Dr. Clifford had a French mother who insisted on giving her son that name.

No comments: